Have you ever wondered how our beautiful Diaper Cakes are made? Here’s the secret revealed!!
If you have a baby shower or baby full month party to attend to, but don’t know what to get, get a Diaper Cake!
Better still, why not try your hands at making one? Your recipient is sure to be pleasantly surprised!
Here are 5 simple steps on how to make a 3 Tier Diaper Cake:
Step 1: Prepare The Materials
Our 2-Tier Diaper Cakes are made of the following practical and useful baby items. All these materials are available for sale separately too!
- Disposable Diapers. We use Huggies Total Protection Medium Size that fits babies from 5-10kg. It’s recommended to buy a slightly bigger diaper size, simply because firstly, babies these days are getting bigger and bigger. Secondly, the new parents would probably be so busy with their newborn that they won’t have time to unwrap the presents right at the beginning. Lastly, if the gift is meant for a baby full month or 100 days celebration party, the baby would have grown quite a bit and might not fit into a Small or Newborn size diaper.
- Baby Onesie / Rompers. For our 3-Tier Diaper Cake, we use 2 baby rompers or onesies, as some call it. We have a wide range of long and short sleeved rompers from well known brands like Osh Kosh BGosh and Carters. Onesie designs vary as well, from cheeky slogans to cute little appliques.
- Receiving / Swaddling Blanket. We use receiving blankets for the bottom layer of our diaper cake. These blankets measure 76 x 76cm and are made of flannel cotton and are super soft and easy to wash. Great for swaddling the newborn baby during his or her first few months. The blankets can also be used to cover the top of the baby stroller to prevent the harsh sunlight from reaching baby’s face.
- Prewalker Baby Shoes. We know babies can’t walk and so technically, they don’t need to wear shoes. But our prewalker soft sole shoes are too cute to resist! Put one pair on a baby and you will know what I mean. The shoes goes right on top of our 3-Tier Diaper Cake.
- Baby Feeding Bib. Bibs are made from cotton material and comes with a velcro at the top for easy wearing and removing. Helps keep baby’s mealtimes less messy!
- Baby Socks. Our range of baby socks are suitable for babies aged 6-12 months. Made of soft stretchy material, helps keep baby’s tiny feet warm and cosy!
- Plush Toy. Our soft toys are the usually the cake topper for our mini, 1-Tier and 2-Tier Diaper Cakes. But for our magnificent 3-Tier Diaper Cakes, they go at the side. We keep a wide range of soft toys from the well known Disney characters like Mickey and Winnie The Pooh, to the classic ones like care bears, GUND bunnies and the bedtime bears from MotherCare.
- Ribbons and Pins. How do we keep all these baby goodies together without them falling apart? Well, we can’t use glue or tape cause it’ll make the clothes all sticky and hard to wash.. So we experimented and pins and ribbons seems to be the best. So yes, our Diaper cakes contain some pins. BUT, to ease any concerns, there is a little sticker label at the side of our cake that tells you exactly how many pins are in your Diaper Cake. Ribbons are grosgrain or satin and usually matches the overall colour theme of the Diaper Cake.
- Box Packaging. What’s a nice handmade gift without proper packaging? At Diaper Cakes Singapore, we pride ourselves in being the only Diaper Cake company in Singapore to pack our diaper cakes in fully-sealed gift boxes. The gift boxes make your Diaper Cakes much more presentable, easy to carry and acts as a great way to store the Diaper Cake without the contents getting dirtied or damaged.
Step 2: Make The Blanket Layer
Fold the receiving blanket into 3 parts about the width of one diaper. Secure the ends with pins.
Insert the diapers and fold down the top . Secure with pins.
Add a cute baby feeding bib at the back. Secure with a ribbon.
Step 3: Make The Romper Layer
Take 6-8 diapers and roll them to make a bundle like the image below. Secure with a rubber band.
Wear a romper over the diaper bundle, and tuck the bottom of the romper into the core of the diaper bundle. Add a pair of socks at the back of the romper. Secure with pins. You can add ribbons to the bottom of the romper if you like.
Step 4: Stack All The Layers Together
Repeat Step 3 for another romper layer. Then stack the blanket and romper layers to make a 3-Tier cake. Pin the baby shoes at the top, and the plush toy at the side.
Step 5: Wrap It In A Nice Gift Box!
Place the diaper cake in a nice gift box with an easy to carry handle for your recipient. Our Diaper cake gift box comes with a gift message template at the side so you can print your own customized greeting message on it.
You might wish to add on a cute little matching helium balloon to up the cuteness level!
A bouquet of pretty flowers or a bottle of bubbly for the new mommy would be greatly encouraged too!
So there you go! An easy guide on how to make a Diaper Cake in 5 steps.
Have a go at it. And let us know the outcome on our Facebook or Instagram page!
If all else fails, you know where to go to get a baby gift that’s sure to turn heads!
This article was originally seen on Diaper Cakes Singapore.