By Adeline Woo
Many a times when I head to the departmental store to get some pretty accessories for my child or for my friend’s kid, it’s either way too expensive or there’s always that extra piece of cloth or design that makes it look really tacky. Instead, I gave up shopping and decided to make it from scratch. That way I get to decorate it the way I want.
Here is one of my personal favourite kid’s accessories inspired from some images I saw online and/or from magazines. It’s really easy to achieve so no sweat!
1) Felt Flower Headband
Things you need:
- felt or felted wool (2 colors…one for flower, one for leaf)
- needle and thread (matching colours with the flower)
- highlighter or marker
- button or pearl for center
- stretchy elastic (for the headband)
- glue gun or really strong glue
How to do:
1) Find a flower template that you would like to use. Cut the template out and trace the template over the felt 5 times with your highlighter or marker.
2) It’s best to cut inside of your tracing so that your end product will not have weird markings.
3) After you’ve got all 5 flowers cut out, lay the first flower flat. The remaining 4 flowers will be fold into halves. Place the 4 halved flowers on top of the first flower one by one in a anti clockwise direction. Take a look at the images below for a better idea!
4) After you’ve finished laying the folded halves on top of each other, it’s time to sew it together so the petals will stay in that shape.
5) Get you bead or pearl and sew it in the middle of the petals.
6) Viola! The hardest part is over.
7) Measure your toddler or child’s head, give allowance of about 1.5 cm as you’re gonna sew the ends together.
8) Place a small felt on the other side so it’ll be comfortable for your child’s forehead.
9) A leave is optional. Cut out the shape of a leave from your felt, you can choose to use a template, and sew it where the circle felt on the other side it.
10) Sew on the flower on top of the leave and you now have a handmade Felt flower headband!
You’ll get a hang of it after doing it a few times. It’s a great accessories for those of you who’ve got daughters or you can make it as a gift for your friends! Try it and let me know how it goes!
Credit for pictures: tickle pink and icandy handmade
If you are looking for a unique and practical baby gift for baby showers, full month or first month parties, get a Diaper Cake!
Contact us at email@example.com or call us at 65 9766 0661.
Diaper Cakes – Delightfully Different.